Tropical homes built for tropical living praised at annual awards
With our building industry showing signs of life as tourism starts to fuel positive economic activity, this year's Master Builders Awards was an upbeat celebration.
Was there an extra sparkle in the grins of winners at this year's Master Builders Far North Queensland Housing and Construction Awards?
With building approvals steadily improving, record low vacancy rates set to fuel new home construction and tourism still booming, the annual building awards came at just the right time for an industry that has faced persistently tough times in recent years.
Major award winners at Saturday's gala affair at the Cairns Convention Centre were Ash Moseley Homes, Allaro Homes and F K Gardner and Sons.
Other big winners included MyStyle Homes with three awards, and Prime Constructions and Brendan Grant Homes with two each.
F K Gardner & Sons received the 2016 Far North Queensland Project of the Year for the Tjapukai Culture Centre Revitalisation, while the Far North Queensland House of the Year went to Ash Moseley Homes for their Marina Quay Project at Trinity Park.
Allaro Homes scored the Far North Queensland President’s Award for the Allaro Display Home.
Local Master Builders boss Ron Bannah was thrilled to see the awards still attracting huge interest and entries after nearly 30 years.
“The standard we have seen this year is incredible and demonstrates the impeccable talent and expertise of our industry,” Mr Bannah said.
“The Housing & Construction Awards provide an opportunity to recognise this talent, and it is great that after 29 years, they continue to be sought-after by the state’s top builders and tradespeople.”
Full list of Far North Queensland winners
- Health Facilities up to $5 million – J Hutchison Pty Ltd T/A Hutchinson Builders
- Education Facilities up to $5 million – Bryant (Qld) Pty Ltd
- Education Facilities over $5 million – Hansen Yuncken Pty Ltd
- Sporting Facilities up to $5 million – H P S (Qld) Pty Ltd
- Community Service Facilities up to $5 million – Allan Sultana Constructions (Qld) Pty Ltd
- Commercial Building up to $5 million – Prime Constructions (Qld) Pty Ltd
- Commercial Building over $5 million – Prime Constructions (Qld) Pty Ltd
- Residential Building (high-rise over 3 storeys) up to $20 million – Metrobuild Constructions Pty Ltd
- Refurbishment/Renovation up to $2 million – M D Can-Do Construction Pty Ltd
- Refurbishment/Renovation over $2 million – F K Gardner & Sons Pty Ltd
- Display Home up to $250,000 – Value Homes (N Q) Pty Ltd
- Display Home $251,000 - $300,000 – MyStyle Homes (Qld) Pty Ltd
- Display Home $301,000-$350,000 – Allaro Homes Cairns Pty Ltd
- Display Home $351,000-$400,000 – Lasspost Pty Ltd T/A Cairns Quality Homes
- Display Home $401,000-$500,000 – MyStyle Homes (Qld) Pty Ltd
- Individual Home up to $250,000 – Matt Greenwood Constructions Pty Ltd T/A Matt Greenwood Constructions
- Individual Home $251,000-$350,000 – K N C B Pty ltd T/A Kenick Constructions
- Individual Home $351,000-$450,000 – Ashlee Jones Homes Pty Ltd T/A Ashlee Jones Homes
- Individual Home $451,000-$550,000 – James Nasser Constructions Pty Ltd
- Individual Home $551,000-$650,000 – Brendan Grant Master Builders Pty Ltd T/A Brendan Grant Homes
- Individual Home $651,000-750,000 – Ashlee Jones Homes Pty Ltd T/A Ashlee Jones Homes
- Individual Home $751,000-$1.25 million – Brendan Grant Master Builders Pty Ltd T/A Brendan Grant Homes
- Individual Home $1.26 million-$2 million – Moseley Holdings Pty Ltd T/A Ash Moseley Homes
- Individual Home over $2 million – Moseley Holdings Pty Ltd T/A Ash Moseley Homes
- Medium Density up to 3 storeys – 2 to 5 Dwellings – Allaro Homes Cairns Pty Ltd
- Medium Density up to 3 Storeys – over 5 Dwellings – Richard Field Constructions Pty Ltd T/A Field Construct
- Excellence in Sustainable Living – MyStyle Homes (Qld) Pty Ltd
- Best Residential Bathroom – Moseley Holdings Pty Ltd T/A Ash Moseley Homes
- Best Residential Kitchen – Moseley Holdings Pty Ltd T/A Ash Moseley Homes
- Best Residential Swimming Pool – Nathan Verri Pty Ltd
- Apprentice of the Year – Robert Daniel Manly
- Rising Star – David A McIntosh
- Women in Building – Roslyn Smith
- Residential Trade Contractor of the Year – Artizan Cabinets Pty Ltd
- Commercial Trade Contractor of the Year – Anthony K Dunlea T/A Only Floors
- President’s Award – Allaro Homes Cairns Pty Ltd
- Project of the Year – F K Gardner & Sons Pty Ltd
- House of the Year – Moseley Holdings Pty Ltd T/A Ash Moseley Homes