It's been a very dry start to the wet season in Cairns, forcing the council to impose level 1 water restrictions from January 3.
Acting Mayor Terry James said Copperlode Falls Dam is currently at about 75 per cent of capacity but falling at a rate of more than 1% per week.
Level 1 water restrictions include:
- Sprinklers may be used between the hours of 6am-8am and 6pm-8pm only
- Odd-numbered houses (i.e street number ending with 1, 3, 5, 7 or 9) are permitted to use sprinklers on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays only
- Even-numbered houses (number ending with 0, 2, 4, 6, or 8) may use sprinklers on Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays only
- No sprinkler use is permitted on Mondays
- Hand-held hoses with a trigger nozzle, watering cans and buckets can be used at any time
- Some restrictions also apply for hosing of pavements, washing of cars, operation of fountains other water uses
Cr James said all residents and businesses could help "reduce the strain on our water supplies".
“We are expecting some rain this week, but it’s unlikely we’ll get enough to top up the dam," he said. "We do hope the rain will help green up lawns and gardens so there is less need to turn on a sprinkler.”
Click here for the full list of restricted or impacted activity.