• Community Services
  • Engineering / Technical
  • Executive
  • Financial / Accounting
  • Human Resources
  • Legal
  • Information Technology
  • Sales & Marketing
  • Secretarial / Office Admin
  • Temporary / Contract
  • Other
  • Staff writers

    Email Staff writers

    Three skydivers killed in tragic incident at Mission Beach

    UPDATE: Well-known Mission Beach mum Kerri Pike and an experienced instructor who had completed thousands of jumps were among those killed in a tragic skydive accident at Mission Beach on Friday afternoon.

    A third man, who was also an instructor employed by Skydive Australia, was also killed. Police described the discovery of the bodies as a "horrific scene". It is believed a mid-air collision between a solo skydiver and tandem skydivers may have caused the tragic accident.

    Skydive Australia issued this statement this evening: 

    "Three people have died after sustaining injuries from a skydiving accident in Far North Queensland. The incident happened at Mission Beach, south of Cairns, this afternoon.

    "One of the deceased, a highly experienced instructor who had completed thousands of jumps, was completing a solo jump. The other two were jumping as a tandem pair: a highly experienced instructor and a customer.

    "Skydiving operations have been suspended at Mission Beach while the appropriate authorities conduct an extensive investigation.

    "The Company extends its deepest sympathies and heartfelt condolences to the individuals and families involved and the broader skydiving community."

    Police will prepare a report for the Coroner and have appealed for any witnesses, including those with footage of the incident, to come forward.


    Two men and a woman have been killed in a tragic skydiving accident at Mission Beach this afternoon.

    Ambulance crews were called to Alexander Drive at around 3pm, where they declared the three skydivers - believed to be a solo skydiver plus a tandem - as deceased. Skydive Australia, who runs the skydiving tour, is issuing a statement about the tragedy later today.

    Police confirmed the victims were found in two separate locations.

    A police spokeswoman told News Corp said early information suggests a mid-air collision may have occurred between the solo skydiver and the tandem skydivers, causing their parachutes to deploy incorrectly.

    “Two men in their 30s and a woman in her 50s were located deceased at the scene,” the police spokesperson said.