Police have issued an infringement notice on a Far North Queensland man for failing to comply with the Queensland Border Direction.
The 22-year-old Weipa man was intercepted at Cairns Airport yesterday for allegedly failing to declare he had been in Sydney, a COVID-19 hotspot, on August 2.
A police spokesperson said the man was immediately placed into hotel quarantine.
Fears of a second wave breaking out in Queensland has prompted Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk to close the state's border to all of New South Wales and the ACT from 1:00am on Saturday.
Queenslanders who return from travelling in NSW or the nation's capital will be forced into mandatory hotel quarantine for 14 days at their own expense.
The latest border closure comes as Queensland recorded one new case of coronavirus overnight, with a 68-year-old Queensland woman diagnosed with the virus in the past 24 hours.
Health authorities are still investigating the source of the infection.
Premier Palaszczuk said Queensland needed to "act decisively" to prevent a second wave.
It's the latest blow to the Far North's tourism industry, which just last week was reeling from the loss of the Sydney market which accounts for an estimated 70% of all New South Wales visitors to the Cairns region.
The COVID-19 crisis in Victoria shows no signs of slowing down, with the southern state today breaking a record for the highest number of cases in a day after there were 725 new cases in the past 24 hours.